The second largest classification society in the world based on gross tonnage, ABS currently leads the market on newbuilding orders. The ABS-classed fleet has shown an unbroken pattern of growth over the last 17 years. Our activities in Sweden are expanding and we are therefore seeking a Surveyor to the Kristinehamn/Örebro area
This is considered an intermediate to advanced level Surveyor position for candidates possessing a minimum of three (3) years ABS experience working as a Surveyor II; or a minimum of eight (8) years industry experience as an Engineer or Surveyor working for an IACS member Classification Society. Incumbent will possess advanced practical industry experience in a Survey environment with the ability to apply classification principles and quality processes.
Primary function is to examine and report on vessels and other marine structures during and after construction relative to compliance with the applicable requirements for maintaining the vessel in Classification with ABS and meeting associated statutory and special service requirements related to Safety of Life at Sea, Loadline, Tonnage, Cargo Gear, and Pollution Prevention certification. May also be responsible for the administration of office procedures and monitoring of business performance at an assigned port.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (PDR)
- Acts as a professional specialist for the organization in the application of related rules, regulations, requirements, concepts, principles and processes.
- Maintains active awareness of new methods and developments affecting the technical scope of assigned responsibilities and makes recommendations for changes in the surveying processes and safety programs as warranted by such developments. Recommends new approaches to problems encountered and makes changes in methods, procedures or design where necessary.
- Plans, schedules and coordinates various phases of surveying work and monitoring the quality of service on work performed.
- Engages in contact with clients in order to resolve problems within area of expertise.
- Performs routine surveys on classed vessels, platforms or other marine structures and at manufacturers for classification and compliance with statutory requirements.
- Prepares technically accurate and timely reports of all inspections and surveys performed.
- Maintains journals/logs for all vessels surveyed in area of responsibility.
- Monitors all work and projects performed by subordinate surveyors to ensure maintenance of quality, content, consistency and continuity of all work performed.
- Provides leadership, guidance and training to lower level and/or less experienced surveyors.
- Promotes the services and capabilities of ABS to present and potential customers.
- Maintains survey files in an orderly and up-to-date manner in area of responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required (KSAR)
- A degree or recognized equivalent in appropriate technical discipline is preferred; should have previous related marine industry experience and appropriate certification and/or licenses in area of specialization. Effective 1 January 2007, all new hire candidates to this position are to have as a minimum the following:
– a degree or equivalent from an institution recognized within a relevant field of engineering or physical science (i.e., a degree or equivalent — a minimum two year program, depending on local education system),
– a qualification from a suitable marine or nautical institution and relevant seagoing experience as a certified ship officer, and
– proficiency in the English language commensurate with their future work.
- Candidates should have knowledge of the sea and its effect on ships and structures.
- A sound foundation of survey training and practical experience with vessels in service.
- Ability to read engineering plans and have a good understanding of shipbuilding practices and vessel operations.
- Knowledge of various formats for completion of certificates.
- Ability to communicate, orally and in writing, pertinent information relative to assigned area of technical expertise.
- Ability to analyze problems and propose solutions.
- Responsiveness to customers.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Needs to be familiar with the ABS Quality & Environmental Management System and the ABS Safety Manual.